Gluten Allergy or Intolerance
We try our best to accommodate guests with allergies, and we take allergies very seriously [link to allergy information].
So, if you have a gluten allergy or intolerance a Manager will have to take your order and we do not recommend ordering via the Chilled Pubs App.
- Dishes on our menu which do not have any gluten containing ingredients - are marked on our menu with a ‘g’ symbol.
- But, unfortunately we do not have a separate allergen free kitchen where ‘gluten free’ food can be prepared.
- All our kitchens have ingredients that do contain gluten and due to the possible risk of cross contamination we can never 100% guarantee that our food is gluten free.
- We do err on the side of caution when using the allergen filters on our website, so dishes may say that they contain gluten – but some dishes can be adapted to remove the gluten containing ingredients (eg, by substituting rice for cous cous).
- Those dishes which can be adapted to remove any gluten are marked with an ‘O’ symbol.
- Whilst most kitchens do have a separate fryer that is only used for chips and sweet potato wedges, we do not have a separate fryer that we can 100% guarantee is used exclusively for ‘gluten free dishes.’
- So, there is a small risk of cross-contamination for any products that are deep-fried.
- You must assess your own level of sensitivity or intolerance but guests with a severe allergy to gluten are advised to avoid any fried foods.
- We can sometimes oven bake instead of deep frying (eg. Sweet potato wedges) or pan fry fish rather than fry it in batter. Please ask a manager for further information on possible alternative cooking methods.
Big Yakitori Sticks
- Please note that any ‘g’ symbol after a Big Yakitori Stick relates to the stick itself and not any side orders that you choose to accompany it.
- You must check the allergy information for every side order separately to ensure that it does not (or can be adapted not to) contain gluten.
- We are really sorry, but we cannot make gluten- free pizzas in our wood fired oven.
- We only have one wood fired oven in each pub. Our pizza dough contains gluten, and we also use semolina to open out the dough in the pizzeria. As a result, it is impossible to remove all traces of semolina from the base of the wood fired oven and the food preparation surfaces, no matter how often they are cleaned.
- The risk of cross contamination with gluten is simply too high.
Can we bring our own gluten free pizza base to be cooked in the oven?
- We are sorry but for the reasons above and due to the risk of cross contamination from gluten present in the pizzeria, we cannot cook a gluten free pizza base in our wood fired oven.